Web redirect

New work, news and Images from the shop. If you would like to know more about my art, please visit my full website @ www.chrisbathgate.com

7/2/11

Tr 334425524622211


My latest creation everyone. This one took some time, but it was well worth it. 


It stands about 19 inches tall and is about 8 in diameter.





I utilized a lot of what I learned during my two previous studies to work out exactly the right way I wanted to plot the markings around the radius shape of the body and to be doubly sure there would be no mistakes. It turned out better than I expected.


This piece also afforded me a chance to try out a new way of cutting metal. After building a spindle lock and this custom tool holder, I used my mill as a slotting machine where as the bit takes long slow slices out of the metal with a stationary bit, rather than using a spinning tool. Only good for types of slotting, but then that is what I need.


Lastly for the what I will call the leg details on the piece. A custom arbor was employed to cut the radius shape around the circumference of the three brass dowels and do the slotting on them as well. As I have said in previous posts. sometimes you spend a good bit of time building custom tools, only to use them once. But if it is what you need there really is little choice. The arbor can be seen in the top left. It could almost be turned into a part of a sculpture on its own, Maybe I will come up with a use for it yet.