Web redirect

New work, news and Images from the shop. If you would like to know more about my art, please visit my full website @ www.chrisbathgate.com

7/25/24

Introducing the RR 212371

Hello all, it's that time again. Today I am introducing what I am calling...simply...the RR 212371.

(If you are unfamiliar with my naming scheme, that is just my way of encrypting titles so that interpretations don't get muddled by more literal naming schemes)


This piece weaves a number of ideas and influences into one deceptively simple design.


For starters, like many of my pocket art pieces, it is a kinetic piece with a series of rollers that reward your curious thumbs as you handle the work. 

Perhaps some might consider rollers less novel than some of my other mechanics, but it is (in my opinion) expert in its implementation for its contribution to the aesthetic and its tactility. 



This piece also contains a number of allusions to knife making forms. 

Even though I am not a knife maker, I am a student of its aesthetics. So I have taken great care with this piece to elevate my relationship with that craft. 


There are also visual references to some of my own previous works, or an earlier aesthetic.


On the technical front, I was able to crack a process idea I had been toying with for many years. 

I always thought It might be possible to use an offset turning set up–one where the axis of rotation was perpendicular to the axis of symmetry on the piece–as a design constraint to derive a novel geometry.

I had tried to design around this on a number of occasions with little progress until now. Work-holding was always the biggest obstacle with previous attempts. But the necessity of using a split design to allow me to properly nest the rollers helped me solve it. And it did so in a way that presented nearly all of the visual opportunities I listed above. 

In this way, solving a new problem, helped me solve an old one. 


The video above does a good job of explaining what I mean.
 

As I also touch on in the video, in my mind this piece is not a materials piece, it is a piece about line and form. 

It wants to be exclusively stainless steel in my opinion. I can see little reason to break with that at this time outside of maybe making the rollers in brass or bronze so they run a little smoother on the stainless pins.

So if you were expecting a range of wild colors or other materials this time, that will not be forthcoming. Less is definitely more for me with this design. 


To wrap up, I am just so pleased I was able to pack so much into this little piece. There is a perfect blend of utilitarian notes, vague creature feel, implied functionality, and real functionality. It really represents the whole language I have been building over the years in a way that I can so rarely capture.

What a gem.
 

Overall dimensions on this work are approximately 2.5"x2.25"x1"


Note to collectors: I am definitely going to make an edition of this work, as I want to spend some time with the design. So if this is a must have for your collection, expect a sign up next week. 

The sign up for this work will open on Monday July 29th at 11 AM EST.
I will send out the link through my usual channels (email, the blog, IG etc)
Figure on a one week order window and then the books on this work will close forever. 

I know everyone wants to know the pricing on new works, but that is my job to figure out between now and the sign up (it is always more complicated than you think). So mark your calendars and I will have that info sorted out by sign up day.

Thanks as always for your eyeballs and your patronage. And as always, comments and questions are welcome. 


Lastly, lastly, I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't mention I have a new book out this year. The details of which are all at this link (where it just so happens you can also order it)